«

»

Sep 06

Route Walk Along The Line

In August some of the newly formed permanent way team had arranged a Network Rail supervised walk along the branch line from Oldminster to Berkeley, to gain an overview of the condition of the track and various structures.

The walk started by the dock gates where the track crosses Bridge road and into the docks network.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At about this location is the old loading gauge, designed to give an indication if any wagons are loaded too high to go under any bridges. The sleeper across the rails marks the limit that trains can proceed along the line today.

Moving away from the dock gates is the point for the northern end of Oldminster loop used by locos to run round their trains.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Further up the line the Severn Way footpath crosses the track. Originally there was a footbridge at this point with a signal box nearby. The foundations for the bridge can clearly be seen.  Right next to the crossing is the site of the original first station at Sharpness built for the dock workers and opened in 1876. The brick foundations can still be seen. This station was only used for a few years before the new Station was build on the line crossing over the River Severn in 1879.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After rounding the bend the line reaches the start of Oldminster loop and then heads off nearly 2 miles until it reaches Berkeley Station, where the recent work at clearing the cattle dock bay and platform edge can clearly be seen.