«

»

Jan 17

First Semaphore Signal In Nearly 90 Years

This January saw the erection of a midland semaphore railway signal at Berkeley Station, parts of which were found in the weighbridge building at Berkeley and thought to have been left over from when the line was singled in 1931, nearly 90 years ago.

The arm of the signal (a midland shunt/goods signal) was donated by one of our members and other parts were fabricated as necessary, with the finial being made by wood turners in Portishead and the post donated by Dean Forest Railway. This midland railway signal is a lower quadrant type so would originally have been made before 1925.

Alan Price, VoBR Signalling Consultant, is delighted with the results as it helps illustrate the type of signals VoBR would like to install along the line in due course.

 

Alan is always interest to hear from anyone that may have old signalling equipment the railway may be able to use and can be contacted by emailing valeofberkeleyrailway@gmail.com or writing to Alan Price, Vale of Berkeley Railway, The Old Engine House, The Docks, Sharpness, Gloucestershire. GL13 9UD.